Monday, February 1, 2010

A New Blog Dedicated to the Souls in Purgatory

"I encourage Catholics to pray fervently for the dead, for their family members and for all our brothers and sisters who have died, that they may obtain the remission of the punishments due to their sins and may hear the Lord's call: 'Come, O my dear soul, to eternal repose in the arms of my goodness, which has prepared eternal delights for you'."

~ Pope John Paul II ~

I want to draw your attention to Apostle to Purgatory--if you haven't already noticed it in the sidebar. The above quote is from this new blog "dedicated to the suffering faithful who have died in Christ." The blog's author is a young married man and father from Texas, a researcher, student, amateur theologian, and a former Southern Baptist. Some excerpts from Michael Mohler's blog follow:

"In the coming weeks, I will be looking at supporting evidence for the doctrine of Purgatory -- first in Scripture, then in Tradition as set forth by the Church Fathers, and finally in the Magisterial teaching of the Universal church.


"I've been looking for a way to dig deeper into my Catholic faith and to share that faith with fellow Catholics, interested Protestants and anyone else with a yearning for God's truth. My hopes in starting this blog is shed light on the souls in purgatory who are so often forgotten and for that reason languish outside the gates of heaven.

"...Perhaps a former Southern Baptist, Texan Catholic has something to add -- some perspective or some voice -- that can be of benefit to someone. The souls suffering in Purgatory -- our parent, grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers, and priests -- need our help, but the truth is that they are forgotten. Catholics of all stripes are compelled to take up devotion to the holy souls as an act of charity for we may well be one step behind them.

"My goals in undertaking the management of this blog are the following:

To develop a relationship with our forgotten brothers and encourage other Catholics to do the same.

To learn from the Church the conditions of Purgatory and to pass on that knowledge.

To begin a campaign for the indulgence of the poor souls, that they may not languish much longer.

To preserve my soul from the purgative fire through suffering, penance, and charity with the help of my brothers on Earth and in Heaven. "


Please click on this link to Apostle to Purgatory and see for yourself what Michael has been inspired to undertake on behalf of the souls suffering in Purgatory.

2 comments:

Anne said...

I just wanted to send you a Huge Thank You for taking the trouble to create this superb blog which I read avidly each day. I have gained so much information and insight and it has increased my love for our dear friends the Holy Souls. I shall be saying a Rosary for you in Thanksgiving especially for your intentions. I am Anne and I live in London, UK. If you are passing through I would dearly love to meet you and introduce you to our City. God Bless you each and every day.

one grateful heart said...

Dear Anne, thank you so very much!
Your prayers and encouragement mean more to me than I can say. You are a blessing to me. God bless you for your generous offer to show me your city. That would be a delightful treat. I don't anticipate a trip overseas, but if I ever get to London, I'll remember your gracious offer. You are in my prayers also. May the Holy Souls protect and pray for us and our loved ones and help us to get to Heaven without having to pass though Purgatory.