Thursday, February 11, 2010

St. Bernadette: Importance of the Sign of the Cross

"They think I'm a saint... When I'm dead, they'll come and touch holy pictures and rosaries to me, and all the while I'll be getting broiled on a grill in purgatory. At least promise me you'll pray a lot for the repose of my soul."

"Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for me, a poor sinner.

~ St. Bernadette Soubirous ~

Fr. Robert McNamara wrote:
Always a vital part of her own "prayers for sinners" was the rosary, which she constantly recommended to all. Part of the rosary was the sign of the cross. Whether in the rosary or at any other time, from the days of the Lourdes apparitions on, Bernadette was noted for the wonderful way she made the sign of the cross. One observer at the grotto later wrote, "If the sign of the cross is made in heaven, it can only be made in this manner." Everybody marveled at the way she crossed herself-slowly, reverently, "with majesty." "It is important to make it well," she told one of her fellow novices in the convent. The sisters respected the way she blessed herself, because they knew who had taught her. It was Our Lady herself, during the Lourdes apparitions.

Do we make the sign of the cross often? (Do you know that we can obtain a partial indulgence, applicable, if we choose, to the souls in purgatory, every time we make it?) Why not take on the project of always blessing ourselves slowly and reverently, pondering meanwhile what that sign means?

If we offer up these signs of the cross for the conversions of sinners, we will also be corresponding with what Our Lady of Lourdes asked of us through her humble ambassadress, Bernadette Soubirous.

~ Father Robert F. McNamara, R.I.P. 5/22/08, quoted from
here. ~

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Greetings. How did Mary teach her? What did she say to do? For example, is one to unite all three fingers, as the Orthodox do? Is one to touch the heart afterwards? Is one to slowly drawn the fingers acros the body, keeping the fingers close to the body? Someone taught me that Mary had taught St. Bernadette in this manner, but I am unable to find the text/source. I thank you in advance.